Home Activities Facilities About Us Contact Fees Gallery Links Weekly List Parish Council

Lower Broadheath Village Hall

Car Park

Our Setting

     Lower Broadheath Is a thriving village 3 miles from Worcester, and 13  miles from the beauty of the Malvern Hills. There have been settlements in the area ever since the Iron Age but the bulk of the housing was not built until after the Second World War. The foundation stone of our Parish Church was laid on 5th November 1903,where  besides the normal services it  houses “The Hub” an area within the Church where on Wednesdays and Thursdays there is an opportunity to chat over a cup of tea, ideal for newcomers to the village, or if anybody is just feeling lonely. In fact some of our activity groups meet  there to have a gossip.

On the other side of the village is the cottage where  Sir Edward Elgar was born, now a museum, with its visitor centre which runs a programme of special events during the year. We can also boast of 3 pubs, a village shop,two boules courts, a camping site, fishing lakes, and opposite our Hall is the sought after Village Primary School.

 

Our Hall

         Lower Broadheath Memorial Hall was built in 1910 and was originally called the Broadheath Church Hall in memory of Rear Admiral Britten of Kenswick Manor, nr Lower Broadheath, with the cost borne by his widow the Honourable Blanche Cecile Britten, thereafter titled the hall’s Founder.

         At that time the hall was under the absolute control of the Founder together with the incumbent vicar and churchwardens of Christ Church referred to as the Managing Body.   Following discussions between the Managing Body and the then  Parish Council in the early 1960s the hall was given to the Village in terms of the land and building that comprised the main hall and the attached caretaker’s cottage .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 2002 further updating took place to comply with the disability discrimination act.

        

About Us

hall porch photo 1930s cropped

In 1964, under a scheme drawn up by the Charity Commissioners, the Hall became an independant Charity, and responsibility for the running of the hall was held by a Management Committee of Trustees. For the last 50 years the hall has run successfully as a non-profit organisation providing a facility for the villagers to engage in activities of individual groups or organisations aimed at satisfying the needs of the community. 

        With the support  of the Parish Council,  the hall and its environs has been the subject of many facility developments. The adjoining caretaker’s cottage became part of the hall which now comprises the hall kitchens, a small committee room and separate toilets. The main hall was extended on both sides providing for a small hall on the left and an integral larger space on the right.