In 1964, under a scheme drawn up by the Charity Commissioners, the Hall became an independent Charity, and responsibility for the running of the hall was held by a Management Committee of Trustees. For the last 50 years the hall has run successfully as a non-profit organisation providing a facility for the villagers to engage in activities of individual groups or organisations aimed at satisfying the needs of the community.
With the support of the Parish Council, the hall and its environs has been the subject of many facility developments. The adjoining caretaker’s cottage became part of the hall which now comprises the hall kitchens, the church benefice office and separate toilets. The main hall was extended on both sides providing for a small hall on the left and an integral larger space on the right.
In 2002 further updating took place to comply with the disability discrimination act. The works for the 2022 MUGA build allowed for an extension of our hall patio, providing an enclosed outdoor area for hirers to use in the warmer months, as well as much needed additional parking facilities. Most recently the hall replaced the old heating system with a newer energy efficient alternative.
Lower Broadheath is a thriving village 3 miles from Worcester, and 13 miles from the beauty of the Malvern Hills. There have been settlements in the area ever since the Iron Age. The foundation stone of our Parish Church was laid on 5th November 1903 but the bulk of the housing was not built until after the Second World War.
On the other side of the village is the cottage where Sir Edward Elgar was born, now a National Trust property. We can also boast of 2 pubs, a Community Shop and Post Office, a camping site, fishing lakes, the newly finished MUGA and children's play area and a sought after Village Primary School.
Lower Broadheath Memorial Hall was built in 1910 and was originally called the Broadheath Church Hall in memory of Rear Admiral Britten of Kenswick Manor, nr Lower Broadheath, with the cost borne by his widow the Honourable Blanche Cecile Britten, thereafter titled the hall’s Founder.
At that time the hall was under the absolute control of the Founder together with the incumbent vicar and churchwardens of Christ Church referred to as the Managing Body. Following discussions between the Managing Body and the then Parish Council in the early 1960s the hall was given to the Village in terms of the land and building that comprised the main hall and the attached caretaker’s cottage .